All photographs on this page have been published elsewhere and are presented here as low-resolution images for information purposes only, to illustrate the points being made about how the station developed. Credit has been given for the photographs where known.
Helston Station History
Originally designed as a through station with a view to bridging the road at the end of the embankment and continuing to The Lizard village, this idea was abandoned with the advent of the first commercial motor bus service. A carriage shed was built at the end of the embankment.
Helston Station at the turn of the Century. Note the original track layout with a diamond crossing for entry into the engine shed, to prevent the need for a facing point, the single point for entry to the goods yard with a subsequent junction for the loading bay and goods shed lines. At this stage the loading bay was short - extending to a point in line with the signal box - and was stone-built (according to other photographs). The crane is an early model, as is the loading gauge which was situated on the goods shed line at this period. Early rotating ground signals were in use and the platform starter had no bracket due to the diamond-crossing engine-shed entry, and was positioned in advance of the signal box. In the 1915 work on the track layout, the author believes that all of the above aspects were changed - see other photographs. Note also that this original Type 3 signal box had steps descending parallel to the tracks. These were later repositioned - the author believes this was between 1930 and 1935. Helston Folk Museum
View from the overbridge at the station throat on 10th June 1920 after the track layout changes in 1915 that affected all the pointwork in this view. Note the tandem 3-way turnout at the throat, separate entries into the goods shed and loading bay from the loop, and rare views of the early coaling stage and sleeper-built ash bin. The loading gauge has been moved to the end of the loading bay but the steps to the signal box still seem to appear parallel to the tracks at this time. This was the track layout from 1915 to some time in the late 1930s when the tandem point was changed to two single ones. The loading bay has been extended with a brick-built extenson to a point level with the new engine-shed road facing point. L&GRP, David & Charles and Lens of Sutton
The author believes this photo to date from the late 1930s or early 1940s. This is one of the few photographs showing the following:- original coaling stages, a small platelayers hut (or ticket platform?) and gas lamp near, and to the right of, the bridge. But by this time the tandem turnout at the station throat had already been converted to two turnouts (mid 1930s), the 'stone chute' siding had been lifted (1930s), the loading gauge with lifting sections had been put near to the loading bay, and the Signal Box steps had been repositioned to be perpendicular to the tracks. G N Southerden.
This photo is recorded as dating from 1948. J H Moss / R S Carpenter
This photo was taken on 21 July 1957 as 2-6-2T No 4505 backs onto its train. Offers a clear view of the loading bay where the original stone structure (from just above the loco's lamp) was extended to the left using brick to the length shown. Peter Gray.
At the end of steam - 1960s
Photo show the last days of the branch terminus. Note the more modern style of Shunt Ahead signal under the main Advance Starter signal and the 'stone chute' siding still in existence. John Strange
© Copyright Robert A Smith, 2005-7